News on Training and Jobs

Latest TEI Comments

  • Hello , I have the following teaching qualificatio... More...
    By Val
  • Hello, My name is Marianna. I am currently complet... More...
    By marianna cervera
  • hi I am Italian, was very young when we came to en... More...
    By maria
  • Hello I am fluent in English, Italian and French. ... More...
    By Michelina Petrozza
  • Hello, My name is Michelina. I am From Canada born... More...
    By Michelina

Home arrow Job News arrow Latest arrow Teaching English in Italy; paperwork and procedures
Teaching English in Italy; paperwork and procedures PDF Print E-mail

If you want to teach English in Italy, you need to follow these four steps:

1) Apply for a work visa (permesso di soggiorno - though no longer necessary for EU citizens)

2) Register your address with the local commune

3) Apply for your tax number (codice fiscale)

4) Obtain your national health card. Make plenty of copies of passports and other identifcation documents to avoid wasting time.

 Non-EU citizens need to start with step one in their home country - laws and requirements are constantly changing and there are many exceptions to each.  Securing the paperwork to teach English in Italy can be quite a frustrating procedure for those outside the European union. Consult your local Italian Consulate or Embassy for details of the application process, and check with the Immigration section of the Italian Ministry of Home Affairs new window.

As a non-EU citizen, obtaining a work permit after you have arrived in Italy is nearly impossible unless you marry an Italian citizen. Very few schools or companies are willing or able to sponsor teachers from outside the EU due to the cost, time and uncertainty involved. There are a limited number of visas available if your company sponsors you through a 'contratto a tempo indeterminato' and even fewer available for 'lavoro autonomo'.

If you want to work "legally" teaching English in Italy and you are not an EU citizen, it will take some time and a lot of persistence and patience.  Keep in mind there are plenty of schools who will hire you on "under the table" but let it be at your own risk. Another option is starting with summer camps, as they have temporary permits for all of their empoyees.  It may give you just the time you need to make the right connections and get another job lead for more permanent employment.



+2 # Sheila Bremer 2010-06-03 16:24
I am an EU citizen but I live in the US and all my paperwork is American. I am in the process of translating and getting my degrees in order. How do I go about applying for a public school position?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

Add comment

Security code

< Prev   Next >
© 2018
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.